Slowly, but surely, we are getting closer to college football season. There is nothing better than that first Saturday in September. Imagine if you went to a school that plays big boy football, such as myself. Tailgates all around and 60,000+ people singing some John Denver after a win. Getting goosebumps just thinking about it. Well, you know we’re getting close when you see lines come out for Week One. Here they are below, as well as “Games of the Year” lines:
Pace and I talked about some games on Thursday’s episode of the Mount Lockmore podcast, go check it out. But we are going to get a little more in-depth here. Just some quick notes about the “Games of the Year” batch before we get into Week Zero/One games.
- BREAKING NEWS: Ohio State and Alabama are really good. They are included 8 times, and are no less than a 10.5-point favorite in every game.
- Notre Dame is listed 4 times. Let’s hope they lose a couple early so we don’t have to hear from them late in the season.
- Bold prediction: Iowa State @ Oklahoma on November 20th is going to be the game of the year. Oklahoma opens at a 7.5-point home favorite, and rightfully so. But this Cyclones team is getting a lot of preseason hype, as they return a majority of their Fiesta Bowl-winning team. This probably won’t be the only time we see these two teams play this season.
Week Zero/One notes:
- A couple of interesting Thursday/Friday games in week one: Boise State @ UCF (-4), Ohio State @ Minnesota (+13.5), North Carolina @ Virginia Tech (+5.5)
- The first Fox Big Noon game of the year will see Penn State go on the road to Madison to face Wisconsin, who opens as a 4.5-point favorite. Both of these teams had down years last year. Expect both to bounce back, and the winner will get an early start on competing for the Big Ten.
- West Virginia opens as a 4.5-point road favorite against rival Maryland. Hammer the Mountaineers.
- Alabama and Miami (FL) open the season in Jerry World, where Alabama is an early 18.5-point favorite. I think this line is a little too big for a team with a new quarterback against a team with an early Heisman favorite, but then again this is Alabama. So it’ll probably end up 56-17.
- Texas Tech @ Houston is going to see no less than 100 total points scored. Over all day.
- Clemson vs. Georgia in Charlotte is an early candidate for Game of the Year. New quarterback for Clemson in DJ Uiagalelei against established quarterback JT Daniels. Clemson opens as 4.5-point favorite. Keep an eye on Georgia.
- A late one on the West Coast, as LSU heads to the Rose Bowl to take on UCLA. I think UCLA is going to surprise some people in this game as a 4.5-point dog.
Well, that’s week one and the big games. We’ll be back next week for some more college football talk.