Welcome to Kota Sports Gambling Network. This is Sports Betting 101, and if you are new to sports betting, these are some of the basic things you should know.
Lingo to Know
Why type all these out when someone already did it for me. Thanks Athlon Sports!
Do’s and Don’ts
- Do – wager the amount you feel comfortable with. Just because your buddy is betting $200 doesn’t mean you have to. Stick with what you’re comfortable with.
- Don’t – be the “almost” guy. What I mean is don’t be the guy at the water cooler on Monday who says he “almost took the Eagles +6.5”. Nobody gives a shit about bets that weren’t made.
- Do – make sure you get the best odds you can for the best price. If you see at one sportsbook they have the Lakers -5 at -110, but a different book has the Lakers -4.5 at -110, you take the -4.5 every time. Those half points come in handy.
- Don’t – ever buy points. It’s a waste of money, and if you’re making sure you’re getting the best odds and the best price, you shouldn’t need to buy points.
- Do – let your friends know about your locks, because when it hits, it’s going to be that much sweeter.
- Do – take your lumps when your lock doesn’t hit, because that’s just the way it goes.
- Don’t – only take parlay bets. More often than not these are not going to hit, and even though there is a greater payout, having to rely on more teams only means more chances for someone to fuck your bet up. Don’t put a lot of money on them, don’t play them very often, and when you do, stick to two to four team parlays. Don’t parlay every game on Sunday.
- Don’t – chase your already losing bet with live bets. That’s just more money you’re going to lose. Take the L and move on to the next game.
- Do – your research. Don’t wake up on Saturday morning and just throw a unit down on the Michigan moneyline against Ohio State because “your gut is telling you to”. Your gut is wrong way more often than not, and it is going to lose you money.
- Don’t – bet on your favorite teams. Its only going to lead to bad things. Maybe they win, but they don’t cover, then you’re still going to be pissed. You already have enough riding on the outcome of that game.
- Don’t – UNIT SHAME. WE DON’T UNIT SHAME IN THIS HOUSE.
- Do – seek help if you feel you have become addicted to sports betting, or gambling in general. The National Problem Gambling Hotline is 1-800-522-4700.